Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Little Bit About Myself

Salutations. I am Rachel, and to tell a little about why I have started this blog I would have to tell you the class that introduced me to this. Digital Communication Tools is a class that I signed up for last minute that I really don't mind. To start out, we learned that since the name is a mouthful, that we will refer to it as DigiTools. For digitools I'm tweeting, blogging, using Evernote to share notes, and things that will better my future in a technology ruled world.

Being born into a world with technology, I have earned the title Digital Native from professionals. No, this isn't an acheievement for a game on Xbox, its a title to say that I have been born into a community where teenagers text more than they talk, spend more time in front of a TV instead of a book, and well books are becoming digital too. If you didn't get my refrence to the Xbox, its because its another digital native thing.

As a student, I'm interested in technology, but I'm more into the arts. I can play a handful of instruments and I can use a paintbrush like an extension of my hand. But I can adapt though. I can create artwork on the computer through the handy drawing tablet; another digital tool; and I can edit whatever I play in programs specifically for music.

But look around you. Do you use traditional tools for your everyday hobbies? Or find yourself glued to a screen tapping away at keys for entertainment?

4 comments:

  1. Spontaneous, last minute decisions are sometimes the best! :) Lately, I sometimes find myself tapping away late into the night! I need to kick that habit now that school has started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Evernote? I don't think I learned about that.. maybe :)
    And what instruments do you play? Are you in Valley's band... like Marchmasters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes she does spend a lot of time on the internet as well as games, forgetting dishes, the dog, chores, etc, but i have to say that because it is my profession, i have to be on my computer all day every day. i go to sites like facebook, got to harass my friends, and keep up. then i go to cnn and other sites for fun too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meh. What you do on the internet is always relevant and creative. I'd have to agree that our generation is ruled by technology and it's a tad sad. I mean, there's so much that we could be spending our time achieving and learning, yet technology has taken it's place. Learning how to play an instrument will soon be a thing of the past because there will be computer programs for that. (Damn you Vocaloid.) *sigh* Our generation is truly sad sometimes. (I age myself)

    ReplyDelete